Hello DYA Advisors, Young Adult Leaders, and tech people,
First of all, thank you for your hard work in making this event go off without a hitch (fingers crossed). The National Gathering, which takes place on Saturday, June 9th begins with a local chapter meeting at 11am Central Time and 12pm Eastern Time. We have allotted two hours for you to have your meeting and eat lunch. These two hours are up to you, but if you need suggestions, please let me know!
At 1pm Central Time and 2pm Eastern Time, the local chapters and the four board members will connect via Google+ in a web application called a “Hangout.”
All the following information will be on the blog at http://dyausa.wordpress.com/
Feel free to share with anyone who will help you connect that day.
You will need:
1) A computer and projector or interactive white board
2) A webcam (some computers have built in cameras, some need an external webcam that plugs into a USB port)
3) Google Account (see below for instructions)
Here is a step-by-step process of how to connect:
A – Enter basic information
B – Click “Next Step”
C – You may add a photo or skip this step by clicking “Next Step”
D – You will be assigned a gmail e-mail address
E – Click “Get Started”
2) After you are signed in to your Google Account, click on the top left (above the Google icon) “+[Your Name]” to sign in to Google+ or follow this link: https://plus.google.com and enter your Google Account username and password
3) Google+ may ask you to search for friends, just click “Continue” and do the same when it asks you to follow other people and finally click “Continue Anyway” if it pops up.
4) Again, you do NOT have to upload a photo, please click “Finish”
5) If a pop up screen comes up and says that you can learn about new features, just click “Back to Google+”
6) I will e-mail a link (and possibly post on our Facebook fanpage https://www.facebook.com/DYAUSA ) to our Google+ Hangout
7) Click on the link on the e-mail and a new window will pop up.
8) It may take a long time to load, just be patient.
9) When you join the Hangout, it will ask you to set up your webcam (may be built in or may be connected via a USB external webcam) video and audio settings.
A – Make sure that your webcam and microphone are plugged in.
B – Ensure that neither your microphone or webcam are being used by another application.
C – Verify your settings to make sure the plug-in is using the correct webcam and microphone.
-Verifying your settings
- Click the Options button at the bottom of your chat list. In Google+ click the arrow next toChat and select Settings.
- Select Chat settings… from the menu.
- Click Verify your settings.
(If your camera is properly enabled, you should see the video from it on the right hand-side. To test the mic, simply speak aloud. If your mic is configured, you should notice a change in the meter next to the blue microphone icon. Lastly, click play the test sound to verify your speaker settings.)
10) You should be entered into the chat.
11) You will then be live in the chat, meaning anyone can hear and see you. Please enter quietly.
12) The main screen will show whoever is talking or moving the most by default. This may be nauseating. You can stop this by clicking on a smaller video feed below and the main screen will stay on that screen.
13) At one point in our presentation, we will ask you to join in watching a YouTube presentation. When this happens, we will need you to click “YouTube” at the top of the Hangout window in order to view the same video. If this doesn’t work, you can copy and paste the link into a new Internet browser.
I know this seems like a lot, but it should be pretty easy, especially if you already have a Google+ profile.
Feel free to e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are confused or need clarification!